As every game goes on, it increasingly shows how much Manchester United are lacking a right winger. It frustrates me seeing a player like Juan Mata being wasted on the right wing, and after losing out on Pedro to Chelsea, many are beginning to wonder what possible players can be brought in to play in that right wing position, here’s my top 5:
1) Gareth Bale – Bale hasn’t had the greatest support from the Madrid fans and a move to Old Trafford has been mentioned throughout this Summer’s transfer window. Bale has plenty to offer and has proved himself already in the Premier League with Spurs. He has won the Champions League with Madrid and scored the all important goal to give Real the lead in the final against city rivals Atlético. The only downside to the possible transfer of the Welshman is that he would cost United up to maybe £100m. But, Bale has shown his quality, from range, in the air, in the box and from set pieces and without doubt would be the ideal choice on the right wing. Here is a glimpse of what he can offer:
2) Nico Gaitán – Gaitán is a player who seems to be linked with a move to Old Trafford every Summer, but he would be a good buy. Earlier in the window it seemed as if Gaitán to United would definitely happen, but now the rumours seemed to have come to a halt, it was understood United would use Rafael as part of the deal also, but now it seems this transfer will not happen. Gaitán can provide a lot, and would be a good acquisition to the team. A left-footer who is also able to play on the right, with good dribbling skills and close control, Gaitán’s main asset is ball distribution as he is able to cross from either flank
3) Marco Reus – This man would be my ideal choice, however the transfer itself would be completely unlikely. Reus has become Dortmund’s most key player. And has provided a lot last season when they were struggling. In pre-season, Reus again showed his class against the runners-up of the Champions League final Juventus, with this class goal:
4) Antoine Griezmann – After a successful World Cup and a brilliant debut season with Atletico, the Frenchman has really burst upon the scene. Griezmann scored 22 La Liga goals last term, in 37 appearances for Atletico. The French international has a £43m buyout clause and has become a household name already. He has been linked with Chelsea all summer, and he is a player I would love to see play on the flank for United. But what does he provide? He can play across the forward line, mainly as a left winger, but he can be equally as good on the right. Here is just a glimpse of what Griezmann can provide:
5) Arjen Robben – The famous Dutchman linked up with Louis Van Gaal with the Holland national team, and was a star at the 2014 World Cup. An unlikely option, especially after a real injury hit season during the 2014/15 campaign. But Robben is a class player, and seems to have gotten better with age. Robben is regarded as one of the best wingers in the world, and he is predominantly a left footed player. Famous for playing on the right and cutting inside, Robben would certainly be a hit at United. In addition, he has Premier League experience after playing with Chelsea during the first reign of Jose Mourinho.
Article written by: @Jordarmian